fail after mass import

Home Forums Bulk Edit Support Forum fail after mass import

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Brandon James

We loaded several projects using the csom and now the tool is failing.

Brandon James

Background: Third party app for Project Server 2013 to allow bulk editing of fields within projects within Project Server. Initially downloaded the app and it worked on day one and then the next time the tool was accessed (maybe 3 – 5 days later) errors were occurring

Issue: After configuring Apps for SharePoint Server 2013 and then downloading the App from the App Store the app appears as an option within the Local App Store to use. Once you go to the Home page of PWA you open the Ribbon and click on Bulk Edit tool. The response is: cannot find http://<guidappid>.servername/apps/bulkedit/default.aspx (Not 100% sure of the actual URL, but the format is similar)

Attempted Resolutions:

1.       Uninstall app, restart IIS, Install app failed.

2.       Reconfiguring the App URL in Central Admin and also permissions

Current Status: It does not work!

Current Action: Trying to install tool in a non-prod environment to see if it works.

Martin Laukkanen
      Keymaster

Hi Brandon,

Can I get you to try a couple of things to investigate this?

1. Have you previously installed any apps on the PWA / SharePoint farm? Bulk Publish or my Holiday Sync are a couple of other free apps that are available for PWA.

2. If you open Site Contents and locate the App tile there, does it open?

I have seen an issue where the ribbon icon fails to work due to caching issues, basically both the Internet Explorer cache and / or the SharePoint server cache caches the ribbon buttons and if you reinstall Bulk Edit it can take some time for that to update. Try item 2 above to confirm and try to clear your IE cache on your computer.

Also have a look at this: https://nearbaseline.com/2014/07/problems-installing-apps-in-sharepoint-farm/, in particular at the bottom where I have a few pointers about items to check in your farm when errors occur.

Regards,
      Martin

Brandon James

Here is the latest in troubleshooting:

We were able to get the Bulk Edit tool to work in our Cloudshare environment without any issues.

1. App URL is pingable from a command prompt
        2. Error received when trying to access the Bulk Edit tool

Brandon James

This is the error we get.
        Server Error in ‘/’ Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /PWA/BulkEdit/Pages/Default.aspx

Martin Laukkanen
      Keymaster

Okay that certainly sounds like an issue with the SharePoint app deployment, can you do the following;

– Uninstall the Bulk Edit, and re-install from the App store. Also can you install another app like Holiday Sync as well to double check.

– Review the steps in my blog article, as they relate to installation / farm configuration issues.

Let me know if that helps,
      Martin

Stephen Craig

I have just started using the Bulk Edit app on our Project Online setup. I wondered if there was a way to paste or import from an Excel List ?

Thanks

Stephen Craig

Sorry posted that in wrong place.

Martin Laukkanen
      Keymaster

Hi,

Unfortunately no, the copy paste functionality is from between projects in the app itself and pasting from Excel would have unexpected results.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.