First impressions matter and so far I’m impressed.
Exciting Stuff (in no particular order)
- SharePoint Security model – no more Manage Users / Groups! Literally, the links are gone! Awesome.
- Integration of PDP’s and the Project Site is great! Such a simple change but it does improve the navigation.
- Set Baseline from PWA! (If that doesn’t excite you then think about it; Baseline through Demand Management / Governance Workflows!)
- Performance is good – granted my lab runs on SSD but page loads are fast, perception of performance is very good.
- SharePoint Task List projects are nice, perfect replacement for what would currently be a basic online edited project. I especially love the fact that from Project Centre New Project throws the user directly into the Project Site after creation!
- Timeline all over PWA – love it! (So will my customers!)
The not so great
- Still cannot do % allocations in PWA. :(
- Need to read-up on what happened to Security Categories my favourite miss-understood Project feature.
- I still can’t find the site breadcrumb? (e.g. Navigate back to PWA from a project site)
I also struggled on missing categories when trying the first time. Default is Sharepoint Permission Mode. But you can switch to Project Server Permission mode with “Set-SPProjectPermissionMode -url -mode ProjectServer”. This will provide permissions as we are used to. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff631142(v=office.15).aspx#section13 for more on that.